3-WEEK MASTER CLASS WORKSHOP
in the MICHAEL CHEKHOV TECHNIQUE
SEPTEMBER 12- 30, 2016
This 3-week workshop is taught by all 5 featured teachers from the acclaimed DVD series “Master Classes in the Michael Chekhov Technique“:
Ted Pugh, Fern Sloan, Lenard Petit, Joanna Merlin, Ragnar Freidank
September 12 – 30, 2016
Michael Chekhov School, Hudson NY
2 hours by train from NYC
Housing options available
Since the making of the DVDs 10 years ago this is the FIRST TIME that all 5 teachers are coming together for the length of a 3-WEEK INTENSIVE to offer this kind of immersive experience to actors who want to gain a thorough practical understanding of Michael Chekhov’s inspiring approach to acting. The 3-week workshop is expanding on the DVD series, taking actors on a progressive journey through the major principles of this work.
Michael Chekhov was considered to be Stanislavsky’s most brilliant student. Actors from Anthony Quinn to Marilyn Monroe to Jack Nicholson and Anthony Hopkins have been influenced and inspired by his revolutionary psycho-physical approach.
This is a unique opportunity to study for 3 weeks with all 5 teachers in a concentrated setting. Housing is available for a moderate fee. The Master Class Workshop is taking place at the Michael Chekhov School in Hudson NY, with faculty from the Michael Chekhov Acting Studio (NYC) and MICHA, the Michael Chekhov Association.
Joanna Merlin is the last living student of Michael Chekhov’s and President of MICHA, the Michael Chekhov Association.
Ted Pugh and Fern Sloan were teachers at the original Michael Chekhov Studio in NYC, founded by Michael Chekhov’s student and academy award winner Beatrice Straight
Lenard Petit is an actor, director and teacher and the Artistic Director of the Michael Chekhov Acting Studio in New York City.
Ragnar Freidank is a teacher and filmmaker and co-founder of the Michael Chekhov School in Hudson, NY.
The collective resume of the teachers include Broadway, film, television, major regional theaters, award-winning screenings at International Film Festivals as well as faculty assignments at major universities including the Graduate Acting Program of NYU, the Graduate Acting Program of The New School for Drama and Columbia Universityʼs School of the Arts in NYC, Rutgers University’s Mason Gross School of the Arts and others. All five have collectively taught internationally in Canada, Ireland, England, Germany, Croatia, Russia, Switzerland, Japan, Holland, Romania, Italy, Finland, Norway, China and Australia. They all are board members of MICHA, the Michael Chekhov Association.
Tuition is $2100
Housing is available in shared rooms for an additional $300 for the three weeks.
Alternatively participants might chose to provide their own housing in Hudson, NY.
A catered communal lunch on work days is included in your tuition. You will be asked to help with light kitchen work after the meal. Space is limited.
The 3-week workshop is part of the Michael Chekhov School’s Immersion Program. It can be taken independently or as part of our 8-Week Immersion Program at a discounted rate.
HOW TO APPLY:
The 3-Week Workshop is open to
* recent graduates in a theater program who are transitioning into the acting profession
* working actors who want to gain practical knowledge of Michael Chekhov’s Technique
* student actors who already possess fundamental training in acting and wish to dedicate themselves to 3 intensive weeks of Michael Chekhov Training
To apply, please contact us for details on the process.
The DVD series “MASTER CLASSES in the MICHAEL CHEKHOV TECHNIQUE” was produced by MICHA, the Michael Chekhov Association. The classes are available as a 6 1/2 hour DVD collection, published by Routledge. They can also be streamed online HERE.
Here is what theater professionals are saying about the Master Classes:
* “These DVDs with their talented teachers and inquisitive students are an immeasurable creative tool for teaching and learning, getting closer to the actor’s art and serving as a legacy for the seminal work of Michael Chekhov.” (ZELDA FICHANDLER)
* “The DVDs provide a practical and step-by-step introduction to Michael Chekhov’s excellent approach to acting for the stage. Five gifted instructors bring their personal expertise and in-depth understanding of the work in a friendly and supportive environment.” (ANNE BOGART)
* “A brilliantly transformational approach to the art and craft of acting… [these] DVDs bring his process vividly and clearly alive.” (RON VAN LIEU)
* “Every theater person knows all about Stanislavsky. They should know Michael Chekhov just as well… His work is all about helping actors find the abundant treasure hidden in themselves and learn how to bring it to the theater with them. These recorded classes give all of us access to his wonderful insights.” (SAM WATERSON)
[-> Return to “Programs“]