SUMMER PROGRAM 2020
The Michael Chekhov School is in session July 6 – August 7, 2020
Available programs range from 1 – 5 weeks in duration
ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS NOW – LIMITED TO 12 ACTORS
“Don’t think that when you are acting in New York you don’t influence the whole world; you do. When you are acting badly, you don’t influence anyone, but if you do something really significant, then you influence the whole world … – Perhaps it may seem exaggerated to you now, but if you will ponder on it, you will see that it is so…. The reason for this talk was that I want you to realize and make concrete the idea of our school, to work for it and for the whole human culture.” Michael Chekhov (1939)
Courses & Schedules
* IMMERSION | 5 WEEKS
A 5-week Immersion as a progressive journey through all elements of the Michael Chekhov Acting Technique so that you can become thoroughly skilled in this work.
* FUNDAMENTALS | WEEK 1&2
Actors may join for either (or both) of the first 2 weeks in “the basics” of Michael Chekhov’s Technique, including (but not limited to) “Qualities of Movement”, Sensation & Psychological Gesture”, “Image”.
* CRAFTING | WEEK 3-5
Actors may join for any (or all) of the last 3 weeks. Bring something you want to craft for future auditions, performance or as professional development through individual coaching, partner & ensemble work.
The tuition is $700 / week
A Program for Actors
* who have some prior fundamental training in acting and want to dedicate 1-5 weeks to practically experience & learn the Michael Chekhov Technique
* who are serious about their own own craft and development
It is not necessary to have worked professionally, but you need to have the intention of becoming a performer
When & Where
July 6 – August 7 | Immersion (sign up for the complete 5-Week-Program)
July 6 – July 17 | Fundamentals (sign up for 1-2 weeks of working on Technique)
July 20 – August 7 | Crafting (sign up for 1-3 weeks to concentrate on your Craft)
The Michael Chekhov School is located in the historic City of Hudson (NY), two hours from New York City. Hudson is accessible by train (Amtrak); the closest airports are Albany (NY) and all NYC airports.
* Transforming the Instrument: qualities of movement, sensation, four brothers (ease, form, beauty, sense of the whole), staccato-legato, expanding-contracting, radiating-receiving
* Characterization: imaginary body, imaginary centers, psychological gesture, archetypes, archetypal gesture, concentration & imagination, three sisters (falling, floating, balancing)
* Collaboration & Ensemble: atmosphere, space, tempo, direction, games
* Presence / Performance Situation: ideal center, improvisation
* Crafting: Continuation of your previous work with the technique. Apply to the technique your own professional or artistic question by working on an auditioning piece, a performance project, a role, a piece of poetry, a short film, an aspect of the technique, etc.
Additional sessions in week 3-5 include film-work. Approaching this in the spirit of Michael Chekhov’s Technique, will support each actor in developing their own process to live & perform genuinely in front of the camera.
Our core faculty includes Ted Pugh, Fern Sloan & Ragnar Freidank. Ted & Fern are bringing their experience of more than 40 years with the Michael Chekhov work to this course. Ragnar is an award-winning filmmaker and co-director of the acclaimed DVD series Master Classes in the Michael Chekhov Technique. Additional faculty include the last living direct student of Michael Chekhov Joanna Merlin, plus other guests. All of our faculty are teachers for MICHA, the Michael Chekhov Association. For more information on our faculty, please visit our ‘faculty’ page.
Affordable accommodation is available at Barry Butterfield’s B&B in Hudson, walking distance from our work-space, or through other locals B&Bs, hotels and airbnb in Hudson or -across the river- the Catskill area. A list of some additional accommodations in the vicinity can be found here. If you will not bring a car, you want to arrange for housing within walking distance to our work space: 360 Warren Street, Hudson, NY.
Flexible Pay / Sliding Scale
Individual payment plans can be arranged upon request. If you have questions about a different tuition rate than listed above, please ask.
How to Apply
Admission to the Michael Chekhov School is by application only. We are currently accepting applications on a rolling basis for Summer 2020. Space in the Immersion Program is limited to 12 actors. Please use the form below to contact us for details on the the materials which need to accompany your application.
If you have additional questions; or you would like more information, please contact us. We look forward to hearing from you.