A PRACTICAL IMMERSION in the Michael Chekhov Technique
April 18 – May 24, 2017 FIVE-WEEK INTENSIVE
“Don’t think that when you are acting in New York you don’t influence the whole world; you do. When you are acting badly, you don’t influence anyone, but if you do something really significant, then you influence the whole world … – Perhaps it may seem exaggerated to you now, but if you will ponder on it, you will see that it is so…. The reason for this talk was that I want you to realize and make concrete the idea of our school, to work for it and for the whole human culture.” M. Chekhov, August 30, 1939
A full-time 5-week Immersion as a progressive journey through all elements of the Michael Chekhov Acting Technique so that you can become thoroughly skilled in this work.
A Program for Actors
* who have some prior fundamental training in acting and want to dedicate 5 intense weeks to practically learn the Michael Chekhov Technique
* who are serious about their own craft and development. You don’t have to already work professionally, but you need to have the intention of becoming a performer
When & Where
April 18 – May 24, 2017 in Hudson (NY), 2 hours from New York City.
Hudson is accessible by train (Amtrak); the closest airports are Albany (NY) and all NYC airports.
Sample Day (Mon – Fri)
9:30am-12:30pm: Morning Session
2:30pm-5:30pm: Afternoon Session
optional Rehearsals (evenings & Sat)
* Transforming the Instrument: qualities of movement, sensation, four brothers (ease, form, beauty, sense of the whole), staccato-legato, expanding-contracting, radiating-receiving
* Characterization: imaginary body, imaginary centers, psychological gesture, archetypes, archetypal gesture, concentration & imagination, three sisters (falling, floating, balancing)
* Collaboration & Ensemble: objective atmosphere, individual atmosphere, play
* Presence / Performance Situation: ideal center, improvisation, work with text
By the end you will have synthesized all elements we have been working on throughout the 5-week course.
Ted Pugh, Fern Sloan and Ragnar Freidank. Additional faculty include the last living direct student of Michael Chekhov Joanna Merlin, plus guests. All of our faculty are teachers for MICHA, the Michael Chekhov Association. For more information on our faculty, please visit our ‘faculty’ page.
The tuition is $3500. This amount includes one prepared communal meal per work-day. Individual payment plans can be arranged upon request.
How to Apply
This course is limited to 12 actors. The admission deadline is February 1st. 2017.
To apply, please send us a brief note. We will be in touch with details about the application process. If we have not worked with you before we will arrange to see something of your acting work, in person or through video.
We are offering very affordable housing in shared rooms in a beautiful, spacious house in close vicinity to Hudson. Advance notice is necessary to secure housing. The fee for all 5 weeks is $500. Please inquire for details. Alternatively, participants might wish to arrange for their own housing in Hudson.
We are offering a work-study program, which can cover your housing costs while you are at the school. Please inquire for details.
If you have additional questions; or you would like more information, please contact us. We look forward to hearing from you.
Actors reflecting on their experience during the Immersion Course