Michael Chekhov Technique
April & May 2020 FIVE-WEEK COURSE
“Don’t think that when you are acting in New York you don’t influence the whole world; you do. When you are acting badly, you don’t influence anyone, but if you do something really significant, then you influence the whole world … – Perhaps it may seem exaggerated to you now, but if you will ponder on it, you will see that it is so…. The reason for this talk was that I want you to realize and make concrete the idea of our school, to work for it and for the whole human culture.” Michael Chekhov (1939)
A 5-week Immersion as a progressive journey through all elements of the Michael Chekhov Acting Technique so that you can become thoroughly skilled in this work.
A Program for Actors
* who have some prior fundamental training in acting and want to dedicate 5 weeks to practically learn the Michael Chekhov Technique
* who are serious about their own own craft and development.
* You don’t have to already work professionally, but you need to have the intention of becoming a performer
When & Where
April & May 2020 (Five weeks total)
The Michael Chekhov School is located in the historic City of Hudson (NY), two hours from New York City. Hudson is accessible by train (Amtrak); the closest airports are Albany (NY) and all NYC airports.
* Transforming the Instrument: qualities of movement, sensation, four brothers (ease, form, beauty, sense of the whole), staccato-legato, expanding-contracting, radiating-receiving
* Characterization: imaginary body, imaginary centers, psychological gesture, archetypes, archetypal gesture, concentration & imagination, three sisters (falling, floating, balancing)
* Collaboration & Ensemble: objective atmosphere, individual atmosphere, play
* Presence / Performance Situation: ideal center, improvisation, work with text
By the end you will have synthesized all elements we have been working on throughout the 5-week course.
Additional sessions on applying Michael Chekhov’s Technique to film work will support each actor in developing their way to live & perform genuinely in front of the camera.
Our core faculty includes Ted Pugh, Fern Sloan & Ragnar Freidank. Ted & Fern are bringing their experience of more than 40 years with the Michael Chekhov work to this course. Ragnar is an award-winning filmmaker and co-director of the acclaimed DVD series Master Classes in the Michael Chekhov Technique. Additional faculty include the last living direct student of Michael Chekhov Joanna Merlin, plus other guests. All of our faculty are teachers for MICHA, the Michael Chekhov Association. For more information on our faculty, please visit our ‘faculty’ page.
The tuition is TBD. Individual payment plans can be arranged upon request.
As part of the Immersion program, we have housing available for the participating actors. The fee for housing for all 5 weeks is TBD (includes transportation between the house & the work-space). Accommodation is in shared rooms; the house is very spacious and situated on a beautiful country estate in the vicinity of Hudson.
We are offering limited work-study places, which can cover your housing-cost during the program. Please inquire for details.
How to Apply
The course is limited to 12 actors. – Please use the form below to contact us for details about the admission process. We will reply to your message within 24 hours. If you have not received a reply, please double-check the spelling of your email address.
If you have additional questions; or you would like more information, please contact us. We look forward to hearing from you.